Pages

July 15, 2010

Lola Basyang's Aftermath: July 14, 2010

I wasn't able to blog yesterday due to 'Lola Basyang.' So this blog will be about the recent storm (typhoon?) that had just hit our country..

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I like calamities or experiencing another system blackout + no water supply. But there's something about the aftermath of a storm that makes me feel a little bit better about the whole calamity.

Tuesday night, I had the worst time falling asleep since the electricity went out at our house 12am while I was sending my report to SPARK. I was initially planning to sleep early since I had a full schedule the next day (a photo shoot at 9am + work + go to office + Louis Vuitton event at 7pm). But Basyang would not let me. The wind was so strong, it was frightening. I could hear tin rooftops passing outside my window and was worried it might hit our car. I also had this fear that the rain would be so strong, our roof would collapse and water would come gushing in. Plus, it did not help that Ponti was barking like crazy. I decided to let him in my room.

Ponti kept looking out the window

But I couldn't sleep. Apparently, the hallowing wind and the effects of the storm had a different effect on my Toy Poodle. He kept walking around on my bed, tearing apart my pillow, and barking. So I decided to let him out.

I was finally able to sleep at 2. When I awoke, everything was quiet. There was still no electricity and we found out the water supply in our little subdivision was also affected. I took a peek outside our door and everything was a mess. The clouds were still a bit dark, indicating that the storm was about to leave. I had to hurry though, as I was going to be late for the shoot.

We left the house 7 am and arrived 10 minutes later in Makati City. On a normal Wednesday, the ride would have taken us at least 45 minutes. I was early for the shoot so my sister and I decided to eat at McDonald's Valero. Just before 8am, I got a text from our Creative Director that the shoot was postponed to an indefinite date. I didn't know what else I could do since there was no electricity in the office (SVT). My sister and I decided to go to Glorietta.

We ate at Krispy Kreme so we could surf the internet for a few minutes. During lunchtime, she took me to Rustan's for a makeover by Bea/ Ms. B. of Bobbi Brown. And later, we decided to go home.

There was really no electricity yesterday and everywhere was a mess. Trees had fallen, leaves scattered, electric lines tangled together. Even in Makati, generators were operating non stop through all the biggest buildings. I was unable to work and do any blog. Needless to say, all my plans were disrupted.

There's something about aftermaths that make me feel gratified. I know that there are a lot who don't share the same emotion with me but it's really during this time that I feel thankful nothing bad happened to me and my loved ones. When I awoke yesterday, I made sure to text everyone I loved: friends and family, to check if they were also okay. It's during a storm's aftermath that everybody realizes they have to go back to their roots and not to depend on too much electricity. The network was down in our house too so it really felt like I was experiencing another storm back in our province during my childhood years.

I remember last year, I made a short video for Ondoy. We should all be thankful we're okay. Now let's move on...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...