Pages

January 11, 2011

Pendy's: N Years of Good Food and Ambiance

I thought it was only fitting, that I post Pendy's as today's blog entry, because I'm flying home to Manila tonight. But this doesn't mean my visit to this much loved restaurant was recent. In fact, I chose a specific date to go to Pendy's during my vacation in Bacolod City. I chose December 25, after I went to visit my mom's grave.

I chose this specific date because I remembered that my family and I also went to Pendy's during Christmas day, a few years back. I don't remember what year it was exactly but this experience gave me something good to look forward to. In addition, Pendy's was one of the very few establishments which were open during the special day.

When I got to Pendy's, I was shocked to find that the cashier still remembered me. She told me that she no longer sees my mom in the restaurant so I told her that my mom has already been dead for the past 12 years. This shocked her!

As usual, I ordered the very famous Pendy's de Luxe sandwich.

Pendy's de Luxe, Pendy's
(P245)
If you take a look at my previous post on Kuppa, you will see that I talked about their French de Luxe sandwich too. In that post, I mentioned that I will talk about the only French de Luxe sandwich in town that I favor... Well. It belongs to Pendy's!

Pendy's de Luxe, Pendy's
(P245)
There really is nothing like it in Manila. In fact, those who know of such sandwich, please let me know so I can try it! 

Ever since I can remember, we have always been eating in Pendy's! That's why the loyal staff of the restaurant still remembers us. Back then, they were still located where Ikthus is in now. But even so, their design and furniture has stayed the same. Their food still tastes great and they have added new items to their menu. The only thing that has made a huge difference are their prices.


Before the food arrived, I got a chance to walk around and take pictures of the pasalubong items they carry. I think it really is perfect timing that I chose today to post about these items.


Most of these items brought a teardrop to my eyes simply because I remembered a time when my mom and I would eat in this establishment. I remember she loved to order their Lumpia while I got the Pendy's de Luxe.

I really miss my mom and eating in Pendy's brought back my memories with her.

Anyway, if you're looking for Pasalubong from Bacolod, here are the items you SHOULD buy:

1. Kalamay-Hati

This is a sticky and sweet substance that is the perfect afternoon snack. I used to eat this a lot when I was still small. I remember how I would guiltlessly finish one small coconut husk that contained this sweet delight! Now, I don't think I'll be able to finish a whole order.

2. Napoleones


Back when I was in Culinary Arts, my classmates all loved to eat Napoleones. My dad frequently went home so whenever I had the chance, I would ask him to buy me a box. I would then bring these delicious cream filled patties to school. The top layer is sugar so it makes everything sweet.

3. Boat Tart


You will find that there are lots of Boat Tarts manufacturers around Bacolod. But if you are looking for the best, get Virgie's. This is a delicious caramel and meringue mixture on a crust bed.

4. Barquillos


Although not only an Ilonggo delicacy, our Barquillos are really good! I don't know how to describe them except that they are hollow and are crunchy.

5. Barquiron


Again, I don't know how to describe Barquiron except that they are smaller and thinner than Barquillos. The only thing that separates them is that Barquirons have Polvoron in the middle. 

 

 6. Memorabilia


Of course, look for the Masskara memorabilia that can be found throughout the pasalubong centers in Bacolod.
 

8 comments:

  1. Wow, now I want to go home (Bacolod). I somehow miss the chance to go to some other places when I go home, but never Pendy's, mainly because my mom's a fan of the restaurant. My default order there is their Pad Thai.

    Your Kuppa post also made me miss Celine's where I celebrated a lot of birthdays, being a Hwa Ming student.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mac! You should watch out for my next post on Kuppa and the cake I fell in love with. :) I haven't gotten time to finish my Bacolod restaurant posts though. I think I have 3-5 more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi trixie! grabe naman yang pendy's, nagutom talaga ako sa picture! :) i am definitely visiting that when i go to bacolod. thanks and more power

    -Roni

    ReplyDelete
  4. pendy's has great sweets for sale. our fave is the dulce leche. theirs is the best. but their service has been horrible lately in the restaurant. the waiters couldn't be more bored. read foodmama's review on munchpunch. i totally agree with that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi AuBonPain! Really? That's so sad to hear! I haven't been there since December but yeah, I noticed their waiters were a bit lousy. Lucky for me I was attended to by a waitress who recognized me from years and years before. I hope they improve though. Sayang sila.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...