Pages

July 14, 2011

Why I Don't Plan on Watching Harry Potter 7

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix- Part 2
As everyone else is getting excited to watch the final Harry Potter movie, I find myself retreating to a corner--nonchalant to the fuss everyone is making. It's not that I don't want to watch it or the first part of HP7. It's really just that I don't want to put an end to the movie. I know I've read the books and have been finished with them a long time ago, but I just can't gather the nerve to say goodbye to a movie franchise I've continued to watch with my friends.

L-R: Kristia, Snap, Cristel, Mimi, Trixie, Andrew

L-R: (Angel in the background), Mimi, Trixie, Tricia) 
In fact, I can't believe it's been 10 years! I can still remember the very first book was what brought me and my friends together. I know there were other things-- WWF, Incubus, Love Stories books, and our indifferences; that attributed to the start of a decade's worth of friendship. But it has always been Harry Potter, his friends and enemies, yes even Voldemort, that stood by us throughout these years.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
I can still remember the first time I heard of Harry Potter. Mimi or Cristel (I can't remember) came up to me one day and asked if I had already read Harry Potter. I said no and stated my reason: I never had the chance to buy a book. But before that, I had already seen the book in a few bookstores (both in Bacolod and in Cebu). All the while, I thought Harry Potter was the name of the author and The Sorcerer's Stone was the title of his book. Boy, did I give Mimi and Cristel a laugh!

L-R: Trixie, Tricia, Riza, Mimi, Carissa, and Danika
L-R: Sam, Jomelle, Riza, Mimi, Trixie, Cristel, Paula, Maffy, Tricia
That was the start of it. Mimi let me borrow her books. Every time a new book came out, she would always be the first to have a copy and we would all take turns borrowing it-- patiently waiting until the other had already finished it. Fortunately, we were all book lovers and we could easily finish a book; so the waiting really didn't take long. We also had our own favorite love teams to support: Harry & Hermione, Ron & Hermione, Harry & Ginny, and yes, Harry & Ron. I remember reading fanfics of HP back then and always favoring those that supported Harry & Hermione's love affair. So I was really disappointed when Harry & Ginny were paired.

When the first movie came out, we watched it together at Robinsons' Bacolod. By then, that was the only decent mall we had. It was also the only mall where we could all hang out during Saturday afternoons, play billiard and Dance Revolution. Even though we were all separated in College, we made a point to try to watch the new movie together. If not, at least talk about it-- inform each other that the new movie is out.

L-R: Carissa, Cristel, Trixie

Top L-R: Trixie, Mimi, Carissa, Riza, Andie, Cristel

Top L-R: Carissa, Riza, Mimi, Cristel, Andie, Trixie
L-R: Trixie, Angel, Chris, Carissa, Sam

Last year, I said that I won't watch Part 1 because I can easily forget what happened and will only end up spending money buying a DVD to give myself a review of the movie. But as the days and months went on, I became more and more busy. I forgot about buying a DVD. Now that the second part is here, I still haven't watched Part 1.

So yes, I don't think I'll ever muster the strength to watch HP7 Part 1 and Part 2. I think all the while, I was lying to myself because I could not believe it was the end. We grew up watching these movies and they've always been part of our childhood. Now that this is the last movie, I feel like I'm saying goodbye to my childhood and affirming the fact that I am now an adult. I think this is what many HP fans are also feeling now- a melancholic state of a decade past.

Bottom L-R: Cristel, Trixie, Carissa, Andie, Riza, Tricia, Angel

L-R: Carissa, Trixie, Mimi, Andie, Cristel, Riza, Angel, Sam, Tricia
(almost complete: without Chris)
 
L-R: Cristel, Riza, Andie, Mimi, Sam, Carissa, Tricia, Chris, Angel
(without me)
 
It has been, indeed, a hell of a ride. And amidst our quarrels and misunderstandings, we've stayed friends all these years. With all our busy schedules, I miss my friends and just being able to hangout on Saturdays with them. :(

Footnote: I don't plan on watching HP 7 without you guys... Let's have DVD marathon this Christmas? :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...