Pages

January 8, 2011

Chinese Restaurants in Bacolod: Golden of Fortune

As far as I could remember, my family always eats in Chinese restaurants. That's why I'm not such a huge fan of Chinese restaurants. It was always me against my whole family (especially my dad) because I was already tired of the same old dishes we usually order in these restaurants. As a young girl, I already preferred eating Japanese dishes instead of Chinese.

Fortunately, my family became open to the idea of trying out new restaurants. I think, with our whole family, I am the adventurous one when it comes to food. I am willing to try anything and eat anywhere--all for the sake of discovering good food.

So for Masskara 2009, my dad took me to a new Chinese restaurant right beside the call center where I used to work in. At that time, it was a new restaurant and I got introduced to the owner. However, I wasn't into blogging that much back then plus I had other distractions priorities that time.

That's why I decided to try out the restaurant again.

The restaurant, called Golden of Fortune, stood in the same spot where several other Chinese restaurants existed its senior. I remember back when I was a young girl, there was a Chinese restaurant in the same spot and it occupied a bigger portion of the space. Back then, it was also Convention Plaza instead of Luxur Place. Oh well, times have changed.

Golden of Fortune
Yes, it really does have an OF.
Anyway, I went to the restaurant with my step mom. Upon entering, I immediately felt like I was in one of the Chinese restaurants that frequented Ongpin. Although the place gave me a panciteria feel, it didn't taste as horrible as the Chinese restaurants I didn't enjoy eating in.

My step mom introduced me to the owner and explained why I was taking pictures of the food before eating them. Since Chinese New Year is fast approaching (February 3), Golden of Fortune had already designed the restaurant to welcome the good luck of this new festivity. They have taken down their Christmas trees and lights and replaced it with Chinese decorations.


Before we ordered, she showed me the live eel that my dad loved to eat in the restaurant. We ordered Fried Eel along with the typical Salt and Pepper Spareribs and Taiwan Pechay that we usually order. I wasn't a fan of the spareribs (anywhere) but since it was her chance to eat it without being criticized, I allowed it. 

the waiter showing us the eel we were going to eat

Aside from the eel, I also got to take pictures of the Peking Duck and Asado they were roasting. It was a quiet Wednesday lunch and we were lucky to have chosen the perfect date to eat in this restaurant. 



The food arrived without delay and since we were hungry, we quietly ate the items on our plate. Out of the three dishes we ordered, I especially liked the Taiwan Pechay. It was cooked perfectly and I had no problem chewing it. Plus it had enough sauce to add flavor to the vegetable. 
Taiwan Pechay, Golden of Fortune
(P120 small order)
I think the Fried Eel could have been better. I think that if we had chosen a different way of cooking it, it would have rocked my world. I'm fond of eating eel in Japanese restaurants so I was shocked with the thought of eating it fried. It would have been better if it had some sauce but since it was what we ordered, I couldn't really blame it on the restaurant. I think it's better if we chose the baked option. 

Fried Eel, Golden of Fortune
(P138)
I tasted the Salt and Pepper Spareribs last. As I mentioned, I'm not really a fan of this dish from the beginning so I don't think it's right if I give my feedback about it. It was tolerable. I got to eat 2-3 pieces since I was so hungry. We had to take out the rest of the order since I concentrated on the vegetables!

Salt and Pepper Spareribs, Golden of Fortune
(P150 small order)
For dessert, I asked my step mom what they usually get. She ordered the Mango Sago from the waiter and at first he took out a small soup bowl size of the order. My step mom told him that she wanted the typical size they order. The waiter went back and got us a bigger sized bowl. I was really shocked with the size since it was only the two of us. What surprised me more was the price of this dish! 

Mango Sago, Golden of Fortune
(P150)
Mango Sago, Golden of Fortune
(P150)
I remember that when I ordered this in North Park, I got a serving good for 1-2 persons and paid P120 for it. With Golden of Fortune though, the serving was good for 2-4 persons and it only cost P150! It was such a feast that I enjoyed having the opportunity to eat 3-4 servings of this delicious treat! 

Despite its flaw in its name, I'd give Golden of Fortune 4 out of 5 stars. I would return again and try other dishes and get another hefty serving of Mango Sago. Plus I really liked how it was reasonably priced! I was shocked when our total bill was only P594. If I ordered these dishes in Manila, I would have to pay at least P1000! 

Golden of Fortune Seafood Restaurant is located in Luxur Hotel, Magsaysay cor. Lacson St., Bacolod City. They are open from 10:00 am- 2:00 pm and 6:00 pm- 10:00 pm. For reservations or catering inquiries, call them at (034) 4349947 or (034) 4349948.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...