Pages

November 10, 2010

Who Says You Can't Teach Old Dogs New Tricks?

Yeah. Whoever said "you can't teach old dogs new tricks" was wrong! Take my 58-year old dad for example. I could still recall the day he would scold us for texting him a lot. He preferred receiving calls since he did not have the patience to learn how to text. But because we could not afford to call him (back then, there was no unlimited text/superduo), my sister and I would text him or give him a missed call. He hated it!

It still amazes me that my dad was able to sit us down one day and ask us to teach him how to text. Slowly, he was able to get it. I think he has been texting for 3-5 years now and he has learned the text lingo (no jejemon please). Now he can text me "Asan k n" without any difficulty!

What amazes me more is that he now knows how to use Twitter, Facebook and email. A few weeks ago, he surprised us by tweeting on his own while he was in Sipalay, Negros Oriental. There are days he would even tell me to blog about something.

He can play online games on his own without any trouble! He plays a lot of Airport Madness 2 and TU 95. We used to play TU 95 together but he finally figured out how to land the plane on his own. See, being a fighter pilot is one of his frustrations. With these games, he feels he is a real pilot. There was even a flight simulation game that was installed on his laptop. But he doesn't play a lot of it since it's really complicated.

A few weeks ago, my sister bought the new iTouch for herself (after seeing me play a lot of Angry Birds). My dad asked what the device was and immediately bought one for himself.

my dad and his gadgets
Now, I'm jealous of them 'cause I'm the only one who has an old Touch version. They have cameras and I don't. But it's okay since I rarely have time to tinker with my Touch now. Plus, I'm planning to get one for myself this Christmas. ^,^ *fingers crossed*

taking a breather
So now, I'm so pleased seeing my dad play Angry Birds. It takes away the stress he feels. 


my dad playing Angry Birds
Now, what was it about teaching old dogs new tricks?

busy... 
Move over Lola Techie 



2 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm so happy for you! My Mom's 74 and we've been teaching her how to use her PC. At least now she knows how to use Skype and check her mail. Hope to convince her to play Angry Birds too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! :) that's great! we want our dad to use Skype too. yeah, it's really nice to see our parents getting updated with technology. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...