Pages

November 9, 2010

Remembering My 2009 Bangkok Trip (Part 1)

A few years ago, my friends and I planned to go out of town for a weekend; but since we didn’t want to end up having a long road trip we opted to go out of the country. Since my other two companions have been in and out the country for more than three times, I suggested we go somewhere we all have never been in. Thus—Bangkok was our chosen destination.

Our original flight date was supposed to be on the last weekend of May 2009 since the two girls had to take exams—Foreign Civil Service and Engineering Board. But because of the bad news about the cancellation of flights in Thailand (November 2008), our parents were hesitant to let us go. My dad, for instance, wanted me to go to Vietnam instead. After that incident, we decided to let it rest for a bit and wait till it was alright to go.

By the start of 2009, my friends asked me again regarding new updates of our flight plans. I checked with PAL and found cheap flights for May. But since I was thinking of going to Culinary school, I looked for a different date. Luckily, I found $142/pax roundtrip tickets for Feb. 13- Feb. 16, 2009. After checking with my friends, we immediately booked the flight online and paid with my card.

At first, my dad did not have any idea that I was set for to go to Bangkok. Instead, I told him I was going to Vietnam—just as he suggested. I bought a travel book to study where to go and what to avoid—it was very helpful considering it was our first time in Bangkok and on our own (we didn’t get a travel package since it was more expensive that way).

Every weekend since January 16 (the date when we booked our tickets), my friends and I would get together and plan what to bring, where to go and how much money to bring. In the end, we decided to bring $ 150.00 each (excluding airport fees and our plane ticket). In the end, my dad finally agreed to me going to Bangkok.

February 13 came and we met at the airport at 7 am. Our flight was scheduled to depart 10:30 am and we would arrive around 12:30 but we boarded 30 minutes late and arrived in Bangkok around 2 pm Manila time (Bangkok is one hour late).

waiting for our plane
breakfast: Cupcakes via Mom & Tina
Econolight = no meals
Suvarnabhumi International Airport

Upon arrival, we headed to the money exchange and had our money converted to Baht. The rate was $1.00- THB 35.70. My dad gave me extra money (to buy shirts for my siblings) and I ended up with THB 8,440.00. After converting our money, we headed to the immigration line. It took us a while because all the lines were very long but we made it through without any hassle. We then got our bags and headed straight to the Departure area (to get a taxi) as suggested by the Hostel we had a reservation with. We avoided the “nice” people who offered us a ride to Sukhumvit Soi 1 (the street of our hostel) for 500 THB and proceeded to a cab which was a passenger was getting off from. We told him to turn on the meter and showed him a copy of the Thai script directions to our hostel. He said yes and we got in the car. The hostel, Soi 1 Guesthouse, advised that we would pay around 300-350 THB for the taxi but luck was on our side—we only paid 260 THB for the ride to our hostel.


At our hostel, we checked in and paid 1,050 THB each for 3 nights stay in a triple bed private ensuite plus a deposit of 200 THB for the room key. 


Soi 1 Guesthouse, our accommodation
When we got inside the room, I was a bit shocked since it looked like an ordinary dorm room with a double deck bed and a shower and only a curtain as a door. But considering we only paid 350 THB each per night, I’d say it was an okay rate. 

Sam & I, deciding who gets to sleep where
Our very own shower
After settling in, we got out of the room and faced the hostel owner, David and asked directions to Cabbages and Condoms.It’s a condom decorated restaurant that has movements to stop sexually transmitted diseases and population control in Thailand. 


A major part of our trip involved walking to our next destination
at Cabbages & Condoms
My next superhero costume?
We ordered the Moo Dad Diew, Kratung Thong and fruit shakes. 


Moo Dad Diew
Kratong Thong
Try their Banana shake! The banana alone is a real treat! 
after our late lunch
what? no mints???
After our late lunch, we rode the skytrain (Asok to Chit Lom) to go to Erawan Shrine. We saw some dancers doing a ritual prayer dance but were too shy to take their picture since the dance was paid by a local offering a prayer. 


the view of Siam from Erawan Shrine
Erawan Shrine
After Erawan, we walked to Siam Paragon and took a stroll, took pictures before calling it a day and headed to our hostel via the skytrain (Siam to Phloen Chit). We didn’t have any trouble looking for the hostel at all.


Siam Paragon Mall
are we lost??
the outside part of Siam Paragon Mall
Ocean World (just below Siam Paragon Mall)
that's Sawatdee-ka! the end of our day one in Bangkok

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...