Pages

September 25, 2010

Why I'm Thinking of Returning to Culinary School

Yesterday, my family and I got quite a scare when my dad phoned me at 3 in the morning. He asked if I could drive him to the hospital because he wasn't feeling well. He woke up to switch off the air conditioning and go to the restroom. As soon as he lay back in bed, he became dizzy. He felt like everything around him was spinning uncontrollably so he decided to take his blood sugar. It read 177.

Yes, he is a diabetic and has been for several years already. His condition has limited his diet to several restrictions and he is unhappy about it. Aside from taking so many medication, he is also required to inject insulin two times everyday. This is why even if it is an ordinary problem, we worry so much about him as it can be dangerous.

I hurriedly drove him to Paranaque Doctor's Hospital because he was already nauseous. He usually goes to Medical Center Manila but I knew we would not make it, considering his current condition and the car I was driving overheated a few hours prior.

When we reached the hospital, we took him to the Emergency Room where the nurses took his blood again. This time, It read something like 229. My uncle, Rene, arrived and he talked to the doctor. They decided to inject him but I was unable to witness this as I hurriedly rushed home as I was not feeling well either. I needed to use the restroom and the hospital's wasn't ideal for my condition.


When I arrived back in the hospital, dad was sleeping and everyone had calmed down. They told me that everything is okay already and that dad experienced vertigo. A few hours later, we were allowed to take him home where he could sleep and should not be disturbed.

This event got me thinking of two things: the first one is that I should get in touch with my culinary friends and ask them if they could help me come up with a few recipes that are good for diabetics. I don't want my dad to eat anything which is not good for him anymore but at the same time, I want those dishes to be as good taste even better than high MSG foods.

Friends, please direct me to someone who can help me put together a program for diabetic dishes. I would really like to make a diet plan that my dad can use.

Thank you to everyone who wished him well. My dad is okay now, stable but okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...