Pages

September 29, 2010

Recipe #7: A Healthy Carbonara

Last September 17, my sister asked me to cook dinner for the birthday of her (soon-to-be) brother in law, George. Since George has been a good mentor (photography) to me, I decided to spare a few hours of my busy work day to prepare a delicious dinner with his favorite dish: Carbonara.

If you know me, I like to spice things up by adding my own versions to the recipe. A typical Carbonara dish contains bacon bits. Since I am on a "health conscious" diet, I decided to forgo the bacon and used broccoli instead. I also added two kinds of mushroom: shitake and straw mushrooms.

I also choose Farfalle pasta instead of ordinary spaghetti since white sauces go well with this shape of pasta. If you can't find Farfalle, you can still use Fusilli or Rotini. ^,^


Image by George Bermeo

Ingredients:
100 g Broccoli
1 small can Mushrooms, sliced
50 g Shitake Mushrooms, sliced
Garlic, diced
Onion, diced
Sauce: 1/2 cup Nestle Cream
1/2 cup Fresh Milk
1 block Eden Original Cheese, grated
1 tablespoon Butter, melted
1 tablespoon Flour
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
Parmesan Cheese
Directions:

Blanch and shock Broccoli. Set aside.

Saute garlic and onion in butter. Add shitake mushrooms. Once you notice that they have softened, add the other mushrooms and the broccoli. Put salt and pepper. Set aside.

Mix melted butter and flour in a bowl to make roux. Once thoroughly incorporated, heat on a deep pan.

Add the cream and the Fresh milk. Add the grated cheese.

Put salt and pepper and let boil. Taste. If it does not exude any flavor, add more salt. Continuously stir the cream-milk mixture until it thickens.

When ready, add the sauteed mushrooms-broccoli mixture.

Toss Farfalle pasta into the sauce. Add grated Parmesan cheese on top before serving to your guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...