Pages

September 11, 2010

Recipe #3: Khaaw Neow Ma-Muang

After arriving from Bangkok, I still had a hangover of my trip.  From the MRT, the Skytrain to walking the whole city, Suan Lum Night Bazaar to the lockers of the small hostel we stayed in.  As much as the whole experience I had, I also miss the food that we got to taste.  So this past few days, I've been searching non-stop and trying different recipes I found on AllRecipes.com, ehowto.com and from yahoo! answers as well.  Just about everywhere!  I tried cooking Mango with Sticky Rice and Tom Kha Gai-- the food we were able to eat.  As much as I love to cook, I'm sharing my discovered recipe with you all out there:




1 kilo Thai Malagkit Rice
1 can (13 lq. oz.) Coconut Milk
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 cup White Sugar
1/2 kilo Mango
3 tsp. Sesame Seeds

Wash malagkit rice four times. Drain water each time. (Of course). After the fourth wash, drain water and soak in cool water, 2-3 inches above rice for about 6-8 hours. After 8 hours (I did it overnight), drain water again and place rinsed rice inside cheesecloth.  Tie cheesecloth and steam in bamboo steamer (I used the ones you can buy from the grocery/department store) for about one hour or until the rice is tender.

While steaming the rice, heat the coconut milk and add the salt and sugar until it boils.  Remove from heat and put 3/4 of the milk with the steamed rice (this is when you've already removed it from the cheesecloth) and let it cool.  Separate the remaining part of the milk because this will be used later.

Once the rice mik mixture has cooled down, put it on a plate and place mango slices on the other side of the rice.  Drizzle the plated rice and mango with the warm milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

You can get 3 plated servings of this.

The real Khaaw Neow Ma-Muang looked like this

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...