Pages

May 17, 2011

Why I'm Hoping I Don't Have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

During the first few days of April, I started to feel a sharp pain on my right wrist. At first I did not mind the pain because I just might feel tired from typing on my laptop the whole day. But during a trip to a restaurant with some friends, it was hurting so bad that I could not open my hand to hold a plastic bottle of coke properly. My wrist did not only hurt, my fingers would not open fully. Then I remembered some of my friends in Plurk talking about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome a few months ago. I began to feel scared that I might have it.

I was supposed to go to the doctor but I couldn't fit it in my busy schedule-- moreover, I did not know a doctor who specializes in a condition such as mine. So I decided to leave it alone. After all, my internet sources said it only occurred to women age 30 and above.

Research on CTS
So I left it alone and hoped it wasn't CTS. Instead, I hoped that I was just having strains on my wrists from typing too much.

But when my dad told me that my grandmother had CTS, I felt scared once again. My grandmother used to be a piano teacher. But she stopped teaching piano because of her CTS. Also, she needed to have surgery on both her arms. During a trip to Bayombong last Holy Week, I got to see my grandmother's wrists. True enough, I saw the stitches on both of her hands. I don't know why I didn't take a picture but they looked something like this:

Image from AllStop.com
Except of course, my grandmother's stitches were already faintly visible. It just showed the white scar. I should take a picture of her wrists next time.

This got me scared. I'm only 24 and I don't want to go through surgery! I never want to go through any type of surgery-- that's why I don't want to get pregnant (even if I'll be at the right age). For me, surgery means death. I don't know why that it is but I don't want to go through surgery-- at all! So I'm only hoping for the best for my condition. 

A few nights ago, it started hurting again. Only this time, it hurt more than before. The pain was so intolerable that I would hold back the tears. In the middle of the night, I would wake up to a jerking pain on my right wrist that it made sleeping so painful. Plus, it did not help that when working, I felt the nagging pain almost after every article I wrote. So I knew I needed help. 

Upon research and the recommendation of my aunt (a doctor), I headed to Planet Sports in Rockwell yesterday to purchase a wrist splint. When I got there, there were two kinds available. The other one, also by LP Support, cost a mere P200 difference from the other. I decided to get the black wrist splint because it did not only look better, it was also made from Neoprene. Although it was more expensive than the other, I read that it was a better option because it promoted heat--which was good for CTS. The P500 version was made from elastic and had a brown leatherette feel. That's why I settled for the Neoprene black which cost me P700.

LP Support Right Wrist Splint P700
Planet Sports
So I walked around Rockwell wearing a dress and this wrist support. I even bumped into a guy friend and I know he was probably wondering why I had a wrist support on my right hand. But I didn't care. I didn't want surgery so I had to make do with wearing this. 

I wore this to Rockwell!
While I slept last night, I wore the splint on my hand. Needless to say, I had the best night's sleep for the longest time! I fell asleep around 10 pm and woke up 9 am. It was a good sleep and I will definitely wear my wrist support more. I'm just seriously hoping that I can get this condition fixed by this practice so I won't need surgery anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...