Pages

December 5, 2010

A Taste of Thai at Silk

The other night, my dad and I were invited my an aunt to have dinner with them. We were supposed to eat at Dampa sa Libis, but since we got stuck in traffic, we settled with Serendra. Having too many restrictions on his diet, my dad decided we should eat at Thai at Silk.

The Menu
We got there early since my aunt and uncle were still en route from C5. Because my dad got hungry, we decided to order an appetizer dish while waiting for our dinner companions. We got the Paw Pla Thawt (Spring Rolls) because we wanted to make sure he would not eat any dish that consisted of sugar. A single order of this consisted of 8 pieces of Spring Rolls. True enough, it was not sweet but it did contain small bits of shrimp. So I decided to take my allergy meds after a few minutes because I started to itch. I found it a bit too oily so I settled with just one roll. Diebetics should be careful though as the sauce is sweet chili.

Paw Pla Thawt (P310)
Deep Fried Spring Rolls
Considering it was a Thursday, my aunt and uncle were stuck in traffic and had a difficult time waiting for parking. For this, they told us to order food already.

We got the Yam Plaa Dook Foo (Crispy Catfish Salad) because it was one of my dad's favorite Thai dishes.  Again, I tested the sauce. This was my big mistake. I dipped my spoon into it and when I tasted it, I immediately hated it (the sauce)! It was horrible, spicy and annoying! The salad would have been better with a sauce but the taste of its accompanying sauce stuck to my tongue and my spoon that my dad told me to swap with him.

Yam Plaa Dook Foo (P345)
Crispy Catfish with Mango Julienne Salad
The next order that arrived was very disappointing. 

I am a huge fan of Tom Kha Kai (Chicken Galangal in Coconut Creme Soup) so much that I make it a point to order the dish whenever I'm in a Thai restaurant. I even found a recipe for this and tried it one time. I really love this dish because I enjoy eating it spicy. In Thai at Silk, we asked it to be spicy. But when I tasted the dish, I did not savor any spice! It was just soup. Nothing special about it. To add to that, there were only a few pieces of chicken and no mushrooms!

Tom Kha Kai (P290)
Chicken Galangal in Coconut Creme Soup
We also ordered the Kai Phat Met Mamuang Himmapaan (Stir Fried Chicken with Cashew Nuts). I only got to taste a few servings of this dish because I did not like it also. It did not have a particular flavor that played with my taste buds. 

Kai Phat Met Mamuang Himmapaan (P345)Stir Fried Chicken with Cashew Nuts
To be fair, I did like their Khao Khluk Kapi (Fried Rice with Shrimp Paste served with Sweet Pork and Mango Julienne). Out of the dishes I tried in this restaurant, this was the only one I enjoyed. However, I still did not eat a lot because I was afraid I would have an allergy due to the bagoong (shrimp paste). I liked this dish because it was a symphony of flavors: sweet, sour and a little spicy.

Khao Khluk Kapi (P380) Fried Rice with Shrimp Paste served with Sweet Pork and Mango Julienne
Overall, I don't think Thai at Silk was worth the hype and the overpriced dishes. If it were any other Thai restaurant, I would have gladly paid that much for the dishes we ordered. Needless to say, this is the first Thai restaurant that I was disappointed with the food. I do like their interiors and their wait staff though.

the wall behind me was covered with this
I liked the dim light of the restaurant
Reading Anton's blog, I think the restaurant has not been able to improve their dishes. And considering that Anton ate there in 2006, they should have improved already! But well, we can't all be happy. I would return for the service and the ambiance. As for the food, I'll head over to Oody's, Banana Leaf and Jatujak any day!

2 comments:

  1. awww too bad they didnt improved anything at all, anyway thanks trixie for the helpful review. I know now what Thai resto I need to avoid in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...