Pages

June 17, 2011

Flavored Beer: Something New, Bacon Fries: Something Weird

I have recently discovered some very weird yet interesting things.

I was browsing through Facebook a few weeks back when I saw someone rave about Flavored Beer. Since I usually drink beer, I found it normal for me to want to explore and discover how it tasted. After a few research and hunts, I was able to find where this was being offered- The Offbeat Cafe at The Collective, Malugay.

I've always wanted to go to The Collective but I never had the guts to go there. Plus I didn't have anyone to come with me. So when Writers Block Philippines held a Networking Night, I finally decided it was time to check out this "indie" haven.

I was a bit disappointed when I discovered the Collective. I was expecting to find a place somewhat similar to Cubao X or The Gypsy Tea Room (a local cafe I frequented in Bacolod). I found that the Collective was more for college students and it wasn't really my crowd. Still, this did not disappoint me. I was on a quest to try the flavored beer, and so on I went.

If you're wondering why The Offbeat Cafe is so familiar, it's the same stall that can be found in Mercato-- which sells the Offbeat Burger (a burger patty sandwiched between a regular Krispy Kreme donut). Weird isn't it? Well, you'll be surprised to know that it wasn't the only thing I found weird in this hole in the wall cafe.

Aside from the flavored beer-- Strawberry Beer or Melon Beer, I also got to try the Bacon Fries. I was initially expecting to receive an order of fries topped with bacon bits. But no. My friends and I got a dish with 5-6 long bacon strips deep fried with a coating. At P190, I don't think it was worth it because I did not get to taste any bacon. There was more breading than bacon, so it was a bit disappointing.

Bacon Fries with a spicy Caesar dip

Bacon Fries with a spicy Caesar dip
I was also a bit disappointed when I found that they only offered the unlimited flavored beer on Fridays and Saturdays. So I had to make do with 1 order of Strawberry Beer at P90. (The unlimited option costs P250).

This is actually red. 
Anyway, I wasn't too thrilled with the Strawberry beer either. I mean, yes, it was different. It was odd. I did fancy the taste but it was ... weird. I think it will take some getting used to. But at P90 per bottle, I would prefer a more recent discovery I had: Flavored San Miguel Beer.

Yes, you read it right. Everyone's favorite beer has included a new product in its lineup of sorts. I can't really say this has been launched because I've only seen it in a few locations, like select 7/11 branches in Makati and in a restaurant in the 1st floor of Greenbelt 3. I don't remember the name of the restaurant but it's right beside Starbucks. I think it's Via Mare. (Will confirm later).

I'm not sure how much it costs in the Greenbelt restaurant but if you buy it in 7/11, it's only P28 per bottle. So my friends and I make sure we choose this option.

Yep, that's from the 7/11 branch across A. Venue, Makati Ave.
I've tried both the Apple Flavor San Miguel Beer and the Lemon Flavor San Miguel Beer. I like both but the Apple flavor has a better taste. When you drink the Lemon flavor, it tastes like you're still drinking San Miguel Light only it doesn't have the bitter aftertaste. On the other hand, the Apple flavored beer tastes like you're drinking Cali Shandy.

Be warned! Be very afraid of it! 
Be warned though, the Apple Flavored beer is highly addictive. I can normally drink up to 6 bottles of SML without feeling drunk. But I can't even finish 1 bottle of the Apple flavored beer because I get sleepy.

Anyway, that's all for my recent discoveries. Let me know which one you prefer. :)

1 comment:

  1. wow, ang lakas mo uminim ah, 6 bottles without feeling drunk! :) I haven't tried these flavored beers yet. Ma-try nga. :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...