Pages

April 18, 2010

Iyengar Yoga Center Manila: My First Visit

I have been attending yoga classes in Fitness First on and off for the past 2 years. And during all those times, I have never been given an opportunity to be assisted by the instructor directly. This is why I was pleased to find that the instructors at Iyengar Yoga Center Manila really find time to assist students who are struggling so they can be properly taught the right posture. At the same time, they will answer your questions after class.

I never knew how to “square my hips” when I attended Fitness First. But with IYCM, the instructor was okay with showing me the right way I can do the position. I was able to attend one class a couple of weeks back. The good thing about them is that they accommodate only a number of students per session. They also provide yoga mats, blocks, blankets, and other material that their students will be using. That is probably why I like them so much.

When class started, the instructor introduced herself as Susan to me. She was a really nice girl with a soft spoken voice. The class started with a few minutes of meditation. I was shocked to find this because classes in FF were not as deep as IYCM’s. But at the same time, I was eager to know this. The “ommms” and “mmmmsss” that filled the air was harmonious from both Susan and the students. This made me think I was listening to some comforting music.

After the meditation, the class did a series of standing poses or Asanas. Unlike FF, IYCM focuses on doing one pose right for every session. So for the rest of the hour, we focused on poses such as the Virabhadrasana, Utthika Trikonasana and the Utthika Parsvakonasana. I have been able to do this Asanas back in Fitness First. But the good thing about IYCM is that the instructors really go to each student and guide them where they should place their hands and feet.

I like the class held by Iyengar Yoga Center Manila but as of the moment I am swamped with work. And when I do have free time, I don’t have the budget to attend classes. Although yoga classes in IYCM are cheaper as compared to the lot of yoga institutions in Manila, I still have to fix my schedule. In time, I may be able to attend a series of classes and perfect those Asanas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...